Call for Papers: (Super)Heroes in the 21st-Century American Imagination
REDEN (Revista Española de Estudios Norteamericanos, ISSN: 2695-4168)
Abstract Deadline: April 15, 2023 | to be published in vol 5 no 1 (November 2023)
October 15, 2023 | to be published in vol 5 no 2 (May 2024)
A fundamental element of the American imaginary, superhero and heroic narratives have seen a new apogee since the turn of the century. New and old heroes and heroines have populated popular culture, giving rise to a variety of texts that tackle diversity, nostalgia, and the need for imaginaries and narratives that help us deal with the struggles inherent to our current times.
This two-part dossier, co-edited by Marica Orrù and Igor Juricevic, will collect essays on (super)hero figures in twenty-first century US popular culture, with a specific focus on diversity, cross-genre texts, and transmedia representations.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Superhero franchise and transmedia representations
- Diverse heroism and heroic feats: critical examinations of hero figures from gender / ethnic / queer perspectives
- Game heroes: heroic configurations in videogames and board games
- Fiction vs reality: social justice and the construction of real-life popular heroes
- Heroic narratives and nostalgia
- Comparative studies between US and foreign superheroes (as well as US adaptations of foreign figures or vice versa)
- The material representation of superhero characters: merchandise, collectibles, toys and more
- The use of superheroes in advertising and communication
- The role of superhero narratives and figures in the construction of US national discourse
- Cross-genre feats: heroes and heroines in horror and science fiction
- Apocalyptic heroes: environmental / political / monstruous narratives
- Nonhuman heroes in human narratives
- Antihero and supervillain configurations
- Superhero saturation: analysis of the overabundance of superhero narratives, franchises, and adaptations
- Heroes and political representations: nationalism, exceptionalism, activism, and counter-narratives
- Politically correctness and superheroes: how new inclusive trends have influenced the most recent heroes-related productions
Deadline for submission: April 15, 2023 | to be published in vol 5 no 1 (November 2023)
Deadline for submission: October 15, 2023 | to be published in vol 5 no 2 (May 2024)
REDEN accepts proposals of articles (6000–7000 words approx. including references) about any aspect related to the call. For any inquiry, refer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, upload your full article to https://erevistas.publicaciones.uah.es/ojs/index.php/reden as a single file (.doc, .docx, .odt). Keep in mind that you will have to upload an abstract and keywords as well during the submission process.
You can find author guidelines here:
https://erevistas.publicaciones.uah.es/ojs/index.php/reden/about/submissions to prepare your paper, as indicated using the latest Chicago manual of style and author-date citation system.